Mount Bryan Summit CairnPrint Page Print this page

12 -October-2002
12 -October-2002

Photographs supplied by Glen Tiver
The cairn erected by Glen Tiver whose forebears owned the property "Rupara", which encompassed Mount Bryan and its environs, commemorates his descendants and the early explorers. The cairn bears four commemorative plaques in memory of Edward John Eyre, Gawler, Sturt and Bryan, Edward Frome and three generations of the "Tiver" family.

The cairn replaces the one erected by surveyor Edward Frome which was demolished by the South Australian Water Authority in 1970 to make way for other engineering works when Mount Bryan became a Water Reserve.

The first European to see the mountain now known as Mount Bryan was the explorer Edward John Eyre who explored the area in July 1839. It was next explored and climbed in December 1839, by Governor Gawler, Captain Charles Sturt and party which included the young man, Henry Bryan, in whose honour Gawler named the feature. In 1842, the Colonial Surveyor, Lieutenant Edward Frome further explored the area and erected a cairn on the site. Frome is also reputed to have been the first European to ascend to the actual summit. He later again visited the area, at which time he climbed to the summit and made a number of sketches


Address:Mount Bryan Summit, Mount Bryan East , 5419
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.426944
Long: 138.972778
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 6th December, 2002
Front Inscription

Commemorating the fateful expedition of Colonel Gawler (Governor of South Australia) and Captain Charles Sturt (Surveyor General) and their party, who discovered Mount Bryan on a journey northwest from the Great Bend in the River Murray in an attempt to find suitable land for agriculture in December 1839

Governor Gawler named `Mount Bryan` on 12 December 1839 in honour of Henry Bryan a member of the Expedition, who became lost and perished on the return journey to the River Murray


Left Side Inscription

Commemorating the expedition of Edward John Eyre and his party

The first Europeans to explore the area west of Hallett on a trek to the northern areas of South Australia in July 1839


Back Inscription

Commemorating the expedition of Captain Edward Frome (Surveyor General) and his party

The first Europeans to scale Mount Bryan in 1842

From this summit Capt. Frome sketched and named 'The Razorback Range`


Right Side Inscription

In memory of our forefathers

James Tiver J.P.
(1829 - 1909)

George Samuel Tiver J.P.
(1873 - 1959) 

Donald Edgar Tiver J.P.
(1903 - 1976) 

Three successive Tiver generations to hold pastoral property in Hallett and Yunta Districts

This cairn erected by the Tiver family in 2002 in honour of our early explorers and settlers


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design