Burragorang MinersPrint Page Print this page

In Memoriam Plaque : 14-06-2014
In Memoriam Plaque : 14-06-2014

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Sandra Brown

The monument commemorates the contribution of the people in the coal industry of the Burragorang valley. It is also dedicated to the men who died in the coal mining and other associated industries in the Burragorang Valley.

With the closing of Brimstone No.1 Colliery in 2000 and when the last shift was worked at Wollondilly Washery on 15th June 2001, the coal-mining era in the Burragorang Valley came to an end. Since the first coal was mined in 1878, when the Nattai Mining Company was established, and more so since the 1930’s, when the Clinton and Fox families pioneered and established their mines, the whole district has been touched in some way by the mining industry.


Address:1605 Burragorang Road, Outside Oakdale Workers Club. , Oakdale, 2570
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.079659
Long: 150.501073
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 7th October, 2000
Front Inscription

Burragorang Miners

Plaque on wheel : 

This plaque is in honour of the Clinton & Fox family.

Pioneers of coal mining in Burragorang Valley

Plaques on wheel : 

Old Wollondilly          1930 - 1980 
Valley 1                      1959 - 1974
Nattai Bulli                 1932 - 1992 
Valley 2                      1960 - 1992
Wollondilly Extended 1935 - 1973
Nattai North                1974 - 1988
Valley 3                       1971 - 1984
Oakdale                      1948 - 1999
Brimstone 1                1968 - 2000
Wollondilly Washery   1960 - 2001
Brimstone 2                1970 - 1984

Plaque : 

In memorium

This plaque is dedicated to the men who lost their lives in the coal mining and associated industries in the Burragorang Valley

Plaque : 

This monument commemorates the contributions of the people in the coal industry of Burragorang Valley

Left Side Inscription

Plaque on coal bin : 

This Miner`s Monument was officially opened

7th October 2000

Plaque : 

The Miners would like to acknowledge the generous donations which have made this monument possible.

Brimstone Lodge. Joint Coal Board.
Camden Signs. Macarthur Credit Union.
C.P.E. Tree Services. Nepean Engineering.
Dunbier Transport. Oakdale Workers Club

Right Side Inscription

In memory of the Jack Pippen family, the first Bus Company to transport miners to work in the Burragorang Valley mines during the early 40`s

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au