Tin Mining MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Tin Mining Memorial : 27-April-2011
Tin Mining Memorial : 27-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

The clock commemorates 80 years of tin mining and 50 years of dredging in the Tingha district. Tin was first discovered in the Tingha District in 1871. A plaque on the memorial also commemorates the turning on of the electricity supply.

Tingha was first settled in 1841 by Sydney Hudson Darby and became a mining town after tin was discovered there in the 1870s.  Within a year Australia’s first commercial tin mines were operating at a private settlement known as Armidale Crossing. Over 6,000 people arrived and more than 25% of the miners were Chinese. By the early 1900s the mining boom was over and Tingha's population had dwindled to just a few hundred people. Shortly after this, large companies moved into the area to mine the less accessible tin.

Back To Tingha Week, at which 80 years of mining and 50 years of dredging will be celebrated is to open on Sunday next when a number of bands from the district will compete in contests. The week's celebration will reach its climax on Saturday when several important events will take place. In the afternoon the town clock will be unveiled by Mr. Davis Hughes, M.L.A., and at night Cr. D.G.Mather, chairman of the North-West County Council, will switch on the electricity supply.  Later in the evening Mr. D. H. Drummond, M.H.R., will crown the winner of the queen competition.
Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser (NSW)
13 December 1950.




Address:Tingha Road & Opal Street, Tingha, 2369
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.955278
Long: 151.211944
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Clock
Monument Theme:Technology


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 23rd December, 1950
Front Inscription

This clock, which commemorates 80 years mining, 50 years of dredging in the Tingha District, also the completion of the Tamworth - Tingha Electricity Project was unveiled on 23rd December 1950, by the Hon. Davis Hughes M.L.A.

Left Side Inscription

Tin was first discovered in the Tingha District in 1871 and from 1871 to 1950, 70,000 tons have been taken from the field within a 5 mile radius of this spot


Right Side Inscription

The North West County Council Electricity Supply, was switched on in this town, on 23rd December 1950, by the Chairman, Mr. D. C. Mather

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au