www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Historic Engineering Marker - Grenfell Street Power StationPrint Page Print this page

19-July-2021
19-July-2021

Photographs supplied by Maureen Aquila

The Historic Engineering plaque commemorates the Grenfell Street Power Station and the East Terrace Convertor Stations.

The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.

The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.

Location

Address:East Terrace & Grenfell Street, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.923944
Long: 138.610751
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1995
Front Inscription

Historic Engineering Marker

Grenfell Street Power Station & East Terrace Convertor Stations

Adelaide`s first public electricity supply was provided from this site by a company formed in 1895, ETSA and the Adelaide Electric Supply Company (1904 - 1946) are the successors of that firm.

Designed by F W Wheadon BSc MIEE MIEAust, the power station operated from 1901 to 1925 and the adjacent convertor station from 1923 to 1967.

From 1909 to 1956, the No 1 Convertor station supplied power to Adelaide`s electric tramway system which was designed by Sir W G T Goodman KCB MICE MIEE MIEAust.

Dedicated by the Institution of Engineers, Australia, the Electricity Trust of South Australia and the Adelaide City COuncil 1995


 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design