www.monumentaustralia.org.au

100 Years of Yeldulknie WeirPrint Page Print this page

08-February-2021
08-February-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The plaque commemorates 100 years of the operation of the Yeldulknie Weir from 1912 to 2012.

The Yeldulknie Scheme was the first large water conservation and distribution network on the Eyre Peninsula and was constructed to supply Arno Bay and Cowell farming areas with reticulated water. The scheme comprised three small gravity reservoirs – Yeldulknie, Ullabidinie and Ulbana, formed by weirs constructed on three intermittently flowing streams of the same names.

The Yeldulknie Weir was completed in 1912 and supplied water to Arno Bay and the surrounding farming area. Cleve did not receive this reticulated supply as the system relied on gravity. In 1928 the system was connected to the Tod Reservoir Trunk Main as the scheme was incapable of meeting growing demand. In November 1954, the district was linked with the Uley Wanilla water scheme which provided an assured water supply to the area. Although the Reservoir remains, the Engineering and Water Supply Department relinquished its interest in the scheme when the water supply proved to be unreliable.

Location

Address:Yeldulknie Road, Yeldulknie Weir, Cleve, 5460
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.691723
Long: 136.544629
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1912
Approx. Event End Date:2012

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2012
Front Inscription

National Trust
South Australia

Yeldulknie Weir
Commemorating 100 years
1912 - 2012 

The Wheel House and Weir Wall is
State heritage listed.

The Lions Club of Cleve and District 
Inc has developed the Yeldulknie 
Recreation Area and walking trails. 
This project commenced 1995. 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design