Pioneers of the Bagged Grain TradePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The plaque commemorates the pioneers of the bagged grain trade.

The town was expected to become a port and a jetty was built in 1880 in anticipation of this. The port was not huge, but nonetheless continued importing fertilisers and exporting cereal crops that were being grown in the district. By 1911, the town had grown substantially, with a school, post office, hotel and new hall established in this period.

The town continued to grow as a port until the point where it was exporting 11,000 tonnes of grain in 1940. In the same year, the decision was finally made to alter the town's official name to 'Arno Bay', named after a sandhill well and not the Italian 'Arno River' as had been suggested. The period of high export came to an abrupt end in 1963 when the storage silos were built, and ocean shipping became redundant to the large trucks that were now the main mechanism of transport.


Address:Sunrise Drive, Arno Bay, 5603
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.916753
Long: 136.574432
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1986
Front Inscription

Commemoration Plaque

In memory of the pioneers of the bagged grain trade

Donated by D. A. and P. J. Turnbull

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design