Historic Engineering Marker - Lamington Bridge Print Page Print this page

Bridge Plaques: 28-October-2015
Bridge Plaques: 28-October-2015

Photographs supplied by Erich Nussbaumer

An Historic Engineering plaque commemorates the Lamington Bridge. 

The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.

The abnormal floods of February 1893 caused the partial destruction of the highlevel timber bridge across the Mary River, Maryborough thus cutting off the means of communication between Maryborough and Tinana and the important goldfield of Gympie. The Queensland Government and the Maryborough Bridge Board then decided to replace this bridge, erected in 1874, with a low-level bridge. The new bridge, a concrete structure, was opened to traffic in October 1896 and is still in service.  The bridge was formally opened for traffic with some ceremony on the 30th October, 1896, by the Hon. David Hay Dalrymple, M.L.A., Minister for Public Works, in the presence of a large and representative assembly of the public, and the structure was named the Lamington bridge, in honour of His Excellency the Right Hon. Baron Lamington, K.C.M.G., Governor of Queensland.


Address:Ferry Street, Maryborough, 4650
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -25.543771
Long: 152.688176
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 26th October, 1996
Front Inscription
Historic Engineering Marker
Lamington Bridge 
Opened to traffic on 30 October 1896, this is Australia`s first large reinforced concrete bridge.
Designed by A. B. Brady, and named after the Governor of Queensland, it has eleven 15.2 m spans and a total length of 187 m, larger than any known comparable bridge in the world at that time.
Brady was honoured by the Institution of Civil Engineers, London for its design.
The bridge was widened in 1970.
Dedicated by the Institution of Engineers, Australia and the Department of Main Roads, Queensland, 1996.
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au