Historic Engineering Marker - Barham-Koondrook BridgePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

An Historic Engineering Plaque commemorates the Barham - Koondrook Bridge.

The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.


Address:Murray Street & Thule Street, Sir John Monash Statue, Riverside Park, Barham, 2732
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.630092
Long: 144.125181
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2004
Front Inscription

Barham - Koondrook Bridge, Murray River

E M de Burgh MICE, bridge engineer of the NSW Public Works Department, designed this bridge, consisting of the lift span with two composite timber and steel approach spans of a type known as de Burgh trusses.  An improvement on earlier designs, it was built by Monash & Anderson of Melbourne and opened on 8 October 1904.  The bridge towers were heightened in 1925 to allow paddle steamer passage during floods and the opening span is still operational.

The Institution of Engineers Australia
Roads and Traffic Authority, NSW
Wakool and Gannawarra Shire Councils 2004

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au