Percy Wien-SmithPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The gates to the Collingrove Hillclimb commemorate Percy Wien-Smith who was the founding Chairman of the Sporting Car Club of South Australia.

In the early 1930's two men named Dr. Cliff Downing and Percy Wien-Smith embarked on a mission to find the state's remaining veteran cars. With only 120 cars recorded in South Australia in 1905, it proved to be a difficult mission but ended up coming together. On the 5th of May 1934, 18 pre-1914 cars and 10 motorbikes ventured from the Adelaide CBD down to the Glenelg Football Oval for the Old Crocks Run.

It was a huge success with over 85 thousand people filling the streets to watch on. On the 22nd of May 1934, a meeting was conducted where it was determined that the Veteran Car Club of SA would not be feasible and was therefore closed (the VCC was formed to run the Old Crocks Run event). In its place a new club was formed. That club was called the Sporting Car Club of South Australia.



Address:Hill Climb Road, Collingrove Hillclimb, Mount McKenzie, 5353
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.559657
Long: 139.096507
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Gate
Monument Theme:People


Front Inscription

Plaque :

        Collingrove Hillclimb

This entrance commemorates the life and service 
              to the 
Sporting Car Club of SA Inc. 
Percy Wien Smith
Founding Chairman

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design