George HarveyPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland
The gates commemorate George Harvey, who was a former chairman and Committeeman of the Tasmanian Racing Club from 1926 to 1950.

A plaque will be unveiled at  Elwick tomorrow morning to denote the origin of the new wrought-iron Elwick entrance gates, erected to the memory of the late Mr. George P. Harvey, a former chairman of the Tasmanian Racing Club. Mr. Harvey was a club committeeman for 25 years until his death in a level crossing accident at Elwick in 1949. The G. P. Harvey memorial gates were erected from a fund subscribed to by Tasmanian racing bodies and friends. The unveiling ceremony will be performed by the chairman of the T.R.C. (Mr. W. Arnold), at 11.30 a.m.
The Mercury (Hobart), 20th November 1953.


Address:6 Goodwood Road, Elwick Racecourse, Glenorchy, 7010
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.826667
Long: 147.287348
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 21st November, 1953
Front Inscription

These gates were erected 1953.

To the memory of George P. Harvey Esq. A former chairman and Committeeman of the Tasmanian Racing Club 1926 - 1950

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design