Patrick & George LesliePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Russell Byers / John Huth

The gates and pillars were removed from the entrance to the driveway of the then derelict Glengallan House and donated to the Warwick Council by W. B. Slade’s son, Oswald Slade, in 1940 as a memorial to the pioneer Leslie Brothers as part of Warwick's Centenary celebrations. The gates were officially handed over to the council on the 16th June 1941. 

The name "Glengallan" was given to the property by the Campbell brothers, Colin, John and Archibald, who, in 1841, took-up 42,000 acres of leases formerly held by the Darling Downs first settlers, the Leslie brothers of Canning Downs.

The Warwick area was first settled by the Leslie brothers (Patrick and George) who established the Canning Downs run in 1840 and built a home in 1846. Inevitably the station became an important centre for the region with a blacksmith, a store and accommodation and eating facilities.

In 1847 the New South Wales government gave Patrick Leslie permission to select a site for a town on his Canning Downs station. It was to be known as Canningtown, the local Aborigines knew the area as Gooragooby, but the name Warwick was chosen. The town was duly surveyed in 1849 and land was first sold in 1850. This was to be the site of modern day Warwick and it grew to become a municipality in 1861 and to become a city (the second largest on the Darling Downs) in 1936.

Historic gates, once the pride of Glengallan station, have been dismantled and removed to Warwick, where they will be erected at the south-western entrance to Leslie Park as a memorial to the early pioneers. Yesterday huge freestone blocks were unloaded at the new site and the wrought iron carriage and pedestrian gates were brought to the scene of their future usefulness. When the gates are re-erected, they will not be unlike the Great War Memorial gates in appearance. The gates were presented to the Centenary Celebrations Committee by Mr. G. C. Slade. Cost of re-erecting the gates will be borne by the committee from its surplus funds.
Warwick Daily News (Qld), 12 February 1941, 17th June 1941. 


Address:Fitzroy & Guy Streets, Leslie Park, Warwick, 4370
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.213644
Long: 152.030867
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Gate
Monument Theme:People


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1940
Left Side Inscription

[ Outer Pillar ]


[ Inner Pillar ]


Right Side Inscription

[ Outer Pillar ]


[ Inner Pillar ]


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au