17-November-2016 (Father Ted Doncaster)
17-November-2016 (Father Ted Doncaster)

Photographs supplied by Father Ted Doncaster / Bryan Hardy

The statue commemorates Aboriginal tribal leader, Yagan.

Yagan was an Aboriginal patriot of the Nyungar tribe who resisted the invasion of the European settlers but was eventually captured. He was exiled to Carnac Island and treated as a prisoner of war. He escaped and returned to the mainland and there was a reward for his capture.

On July 11, 1833, with a group of Nyungar, Yagan approached two young shepherds he knew, James and William Keats, and asked them for flour. Recognising Yagan and keen for the reward, William, when he saw the chance, levelled his musket at Yagan behind his back and shot him dead. Both brothers then fled, but William was caught and speared to death. After his death, Yagan`s head was hacked off from his body and taken to English museums.

In 1894 the head was passed on to the Liverpool City Museum, where it was exhibited until 1964. It was then buried in the Everton Cemetery. In 1990 a request by the Western Australian Nyoongah community was put to the British Government to exhume the head. Permission was finally granted and 164 years after it was sent to England, Yagan`s head was brought back to Australia for burial according to Nyoongah custom.

However due to the uncertainty of the whereabouts of the rest of the body, burial has not yet taken place. Yagan was considered a warrior by his people.


Address:Heirisson Island, Perth Causeway Carpark, Perth, 6000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.967931
Long: 115.876649
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:11-July-1833
Actual Event End Date:11-July-1833
Artist:Robert Hitchcock


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 11th September, 1984
Front Inscription

In commemoration of Yagan

Tragically killed, July 1833.

Erected by the Yagan Committee

Mrs E. M. Hansen  Mr H. P. Hansen
Mrs L. J. Hume      Mr S. P. Hume
Mrs R. Pell             Mr K. Golburg
Mr L. Hill

With assistance from W.A. Labour Government

Officially opened by Mrs Elizabeth Hansen M.B.E.

11th September, 1984

Sculptor - Robert Hitchcock

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design