Harry Frederick WalkerPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The memorial fence (which was erected in 1952) and tablet commemorate Harry Frederick Walker, who was a member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly for 40 years. The fence and tablet were erected by his wife and fellow members of the Legislative Assembly. The tablet was unveiled and the memorial fence dedicated on the 17th January 1953. 

Harry Frederick Walker (1873 – 1950) was a company director and member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly. Walker was a member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly for almost 40 years, most of them in opposition to succesive Labor governments. He represented two different seats, the first being Wide Bay from 1907 until 1912 and the second being Cooroora from its inception in 1912 until he retired from politics in 1947. He was Secretary for Agriculture and Stock in the Moore Ministry from 1929 until 1932.

Fronting St. John's Parish Church at Nambour is a memorial fence, composed of concrete pillars, retainers, and wrought iron gates and an annex. This represents a gift by Mrs. Rose Walker, of Tewantin (widow of the late Hon. H.F. Walker) and the deceased's Parliamentary friends made possible the completion of the structure. The length of the frontage so ornamentally enclosed is 136 feet. There is also a plaque inserted to perpetuate the memory of the late Hon.H. F. Walker. This will be unveiled and the memorial, dedicated on Saturday afternoon, January 17. The ceremony has been arranged in conjunction with His Grace Archbishop Halse. This will be the last occasion on which the Rev. G. T. Hobbs will officiate at any public function prior to his retirement as St. John's Parish Rector.
Nambour Chronicle and North Coast Advertiser (Qld.),
19 December 1952.


Address:174 - 176 Currie Street, St John the Baptist Church, Nambour, 4560
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.629875
Long: 152.959813
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - State


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1953-01-17
Front Inscription

A. M. D. G.

In memory of Harry Frederick Walker

40 years M.L.A., Q.

Erected by his wife and fellow M's. L. A.

Oct. 1952.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au