John GilliesPrint Page Print this page

Inscription: 28-March-2016
Inscription: 28-March-2016

The Gates commemorate parliamentarian John Gillies (1844-1911), who was a Member of the Legislative Assembly of New South Wales. 

John Gillies was first elected to Parliament for the constituency of West Maitland in 1891 and was returned with very large majorities at eight successive elections.

Prior to his election to Parliament, in 1886 he was elected an Alderman for West Maitland Council, securing the greatest number of votes ever, at that time, recorded in Maitland at the regular Annual Elections. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1882. He was a trustee of the Great Northern Permanent Building Society and of the Government Savings Bank. In 1888 he was chosen Mayor.

WEST MAITLAND, Saturday. The John Gillies memorial gates, erected at the Elgin-street entrance to Maitland Park, by public subscription, in memory of the late member for Maitland, were officially opened this afternoon by the Mayoress, Mrs. H. W. Fry. The gates are of iron and of ornamental design, with massive stone pillars, on which is the inscription:-"Erected to the memory of John Gillies, M.L.A., 1891-1911." The total cost of the gates and fencing was £800.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 20 December 1920. 


Address:Walker & Elgin Streets, Maitland Park , Maitland, 2320
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.739671
Long: 151.553269
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Gates
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 18th December, 1920
Right Side Inscription
   —   TO   —

   1891 - 1911.
Source: H, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design