www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Henry BartlettPrint Page Print this page

12-February-2020
12-February-2020

Photographs supplied by Neil Follett / Maureen Aquila

The Barlett Memorial Hall commemorates Henry (Harry) Bartlett (6 January 1835 – 8 July 1915) who was a colonial politician.

He arrived in Adelaide, South Australia on 5 July 1857 on the Gilmore which had departed Plymouth on 7 March, with his sister Amelia Lucy and mother Mary Anne Ribouleau Bartlett. 

He soon went to Woolundunga Station, near Port Augusta, and there met John McKinlay, the noted explorer, whom he accompanied on a trip to the Barrier country. Later they went together to Port Lincoln, crossing the gulf in the steamer Daphne. At that time the only buildings in Port Lincoln were a couple of shanties owned by Captain Bishop (later owner of Boston Island), and "Jimmy" Owen. He spent several years prospecting on Kangaroo Island, and Yorke Peninsula from Franklin Harbour to the Gawler Ranges, gaining an intimate knowledge of the country.

He was elected to the seat of Yorke Peninsula in the South Australian House of Assembly and sat from March 1887 to April 1896. He was remembered for his tireless advocacy on behalf of Yorke Peninsula agriculturists at a time when pastoralists were all-powerful.

 

Location

Address:Adelaide Place & Hallet Place, Bartlett Memorial Hall, Port Lincoln, 5606
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.721202
Long: 135.857396
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Colonial
Monument Manufacturer:

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 2nd February, 1921
Approx. Monument Dedication Date:
Front Inscription

Barlett Memorial Hall 

This stone was laid by Mrs. M. E. Brougham, on 2nd February 1921

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design