Charles SturtPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The memorial commemorates Captain Charles Sturt and his exploration of the River Murray.  It was unveiled in the centenary year of Sturt`s exploration.

The white stone cairn erected by the Loxton District Council to the memory of Sturt is well situated on a rise on the side of the drive from the main street down to the river bank. It overlooks a broad expanse of river and hundreds of noble gums. A better site could not possibly have been chosen, in this writer's opinion. When times grow better improvements to the drive will assuredly take place and Loxton will be proud of her efforts to perpetuate the memory of a great man. On the memorial is a plate inscribed with these words: "On January 30, 1830, Captain Charles Sturt and his heroic men rowed down stream past this spot on their great journey of discovery."

In passing it might be mentioned that the Loxton Council, when the matter of a cairn was brought up, looked at the proposal in a broad light. They realized that times were not propitious for expending any money that could possibly be saved but councillors took the view that it would be a standing reproach to the district if some memento of their gratitude to and esteem of Sturt were not erected.
Murray Pioneer and Australian River Record (Renmark, SA), 17 January 1930.


Address:East Terrace & Mayfield Street, Loxton, 5333
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.448469
Long: 140.567759
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:30-January-1830
Actual Event End Date:30-January-1830


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 16th January, 1930
Front Inscription


On 30th January 1830
Captain Charles Sturt
And His Heroic Band Rowed
Downstream Past This Spot
On Their Great Journey
Of Discovery

Source: MA,SAM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design