Elizabeth MacquariePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth / Sandra Brown

The sculpture honours Elizabeth Macquarie, wife of Governor Macquarie,whose maiden name was Campbell. Campbelltown was named in her honour. The bronze sculpture of Elizabeth was placed in the park in 2006. 

When accompanying her husband on his official visits throughout the district Elizabeth Macquarie is said to have given corms of irises (or flag lilies as they were called then) that she brought with her to the settlers.  She also would sometimes put them out on the sides of the road.  In later years it was not uncommon to see clumps of these blue and white irises growing on the sides of Old Sydney Road and around the old early settlers’ houses. Tom Bass, has taken this story as the focal point of his sculpture, portraying Elizabeth with a sunbonnet, apron and watering can, and placing her in a bed of irises.

The plaque located adjacent to the sculpture, in honour of the naming of Campbelltown after Elizabeth Macquarie, was unveiled in 1988 as part of the Australian Bicentennial Programme. 

Elizabeth Macquarie (1778 – 1835) was the second wife of Lachlan Macquarie who served as Governor of New South Wales from 1810 to 1821. She played a significant role in the establishment of the colony and is recognised in the naming of many Australian landmarks including Mrs Macquarie's Chair and numerous Elizabeth Streets, e.g. in Hobart. Governor Macquarie named the town (now City) of Campbelltown, after his wife's maiden name.  



Address:Queen & Cordeaux Streets, Mawson Park , Campbelltown , 2560
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.065411
Long: 150.815582
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:People
Artist:Tom Bass (sculptor)


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2006
Front Inscription




Left Side Inscription



Inscription in Proximity

At A Place Close To This Stone
On 1st December, 1820 
Governor Lachlan Macquarie Named This Township
In Honour Of Mrs. Elizabeth Macquarie
Whose Maiden Name Was Campbell

This Plaque Was Unveiled By
His Grace The Duke Of Argyll
On 1st December, 1988
As Part Of The Australian Bicentennial Programme.

Ald. Jim Kremmer - Mayor
Ian S. Porter - Town Clerk 
Campbelltown City Council

Guy Thomas - Chairman 
Campbelltown Bicentennial
Community Committee

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au