John William Taylor Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Nancy Alford

Taylor Park commemorates John William Taylor who worked for the development of Torquay. The gates to the park were relocated from the Model School in Melbourne which was erected in 1852. The contractor at the site, E.J. Taylor, had the gates re-erected at the park in 1935. 

The name Taylor Park came about in 1921 just before the death of John William Taylor who had worked very hard for the development of Torquay. He was one of the first trustees of Torquay Reserves and Parks being appointed in 1893. John William was chairperson of the Trustees and also President of the TIA at a crucial time when the Lands Department had to be convinced by him to maintain the land as a public reserve and not subdivide the land for sale. John William also planted gums and pines in a series of straight lines across the park and organised nurserymen to propose other vegetation for planting.


Address:The Esplanade, Taylor Park, Torquay, 3228
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.330767
Long: 144.326414
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1921
Front Inscription

Plaque :

Taylor Park

A memorial to John William Taylor

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au