Parndana & RSL Sub Branch Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The hall was built by the Returned Services League and dedicated as a memorial to Soldier Settlement. The building has now been converted into a museum and contains memorabilia, photographs and stories relating to the development of Parndana and surrounding districts. The museum was established in 2001 with funding from a Centenary of Federation grant.

Funded by a community arts grant, a series of dioramas telling the history of the area is contained in boxes set into the windows, and can be viewed from the outside of the building.  There is also a shed beside the hall which contains agricultural equipment used by the soldier settlers. 

Parndana was established after the Second World War to support the Soldier Settlement Scheme on Kangaroo Island. The name "Parndana" means "The Place of Little Gums".

Returned soldiers and their families began to arrive in the area in 1948, occupying huts brought from a former internment camp, and began to move onto their farms in 1951. A total of 174 families came to live in the area, almost doubling Kangaroo Island's population by 1954.

Note: Soldier settlement refers to the occupation and settlement of land throughout parts of Australia by returning discharged soldiers under schemes administered by the State Governments after World Wars One and Two.


Address:Wedgewood Road, Parndana, 5220
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.792042
Long: 137.263798
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Source: TOH, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design