www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150 Years of Settlement of NelligenPrint Page Print this page

25-January-2011 (Glen Yeomans)
25-January-2011 (Glen Yeomans)

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Russell Byers

The memorial commemorates 150 years of the settlement of Nelligen. The memorial features a stone with a plaque and information plaques detailing the history of the area. 

The village of Nelligen was gazetted in 1854 and a road inland to Braidwood was completed two years later. No bridges existed across the Clyde at the time, so produce and minerals from southern New South Wales were delivered to Nelligen for transport by twice-weekly steamer to Sydney; the town was serviced by the Illawarra Steam Navigation Company. The post office opened in 1858 and a Protestant church was constructed in 1872. The existing Roman Catholic church dates from 1895.

Location

Address:Wharf Street, Nelligen, 2536
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.647957
Long: 150.142104
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1854
Approx. Event End Date:2004
Link:

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 18th December, 2004
Front Inscription

Colonial Secretary`s Office  18th December 1854
SYDNEY

                    NELLIGEN
Notice is hereby given, that a site has been fixed upon
for a Township at the undermentioned place, and that
a copy of the approved plan has been deposited for
information, at the Police Office Braidwood, and at
the Surveyor General`s Office in Sydney, Viz:

NELLIGEN, at the junction of Nelligen Creek with the Clyde River, County of St. Vincent. 

By His Excellency`s Command
C. D. RIDDELL 
(N.S.W. Gov. Gazette - 1854. Page 2664)

             NELLIGEN
Celebrates 150 years of History
            1854 - 2004

      December 18, 2004
  Unveiled by Ron Jackson

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design