First Settlement Memorial WallPrint Page Print this page

Citizens Plaque
Citizens Plaque

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / Roger Johnson

The wall commemorates the first settlement at Redcliffe in 1824. Built with 50 tonnes of bluestones to a design representing the sails of the Amity, the Wall was opened in September 1991. It also honours the first inhabitants the Ningy Ningy clan of the Undambi tribe.

A decision was made in June of 1824 to form a settlement at Moreton Bay and on 1 September 1824 the Amity left Sydney to transport convicts and soldiers to the new settlement. It arrived at Moreton Bay on 12 September and the settlers landed at Redcliffe Point two days later. In the party were Surveyor General John Oxley, King's Botanist Allan Cunningham, Assistant Surveyor Robert Hoddle, Commandant Lieutenant Miller of the 40th Regiment of Foot, his wife and son Henry who acted as clerk for his father, Lt Butler, a sergeant, a corporal and 18 privates of the 40th Regiment of Foot, ten wives and eight children and Store Keeper/Surgeon Walter Scott.

Some of the 29 convicts were volunteers who hoped to be rewarded with ' a ticket of leave ' for their efforts. The Settlement was established between Humpybong Creek, Anzac Avenue and the beachfront. 



Address:Redcliffe Parade, Rotary Park , Redcliffe, 4020
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.224858
Long: 153.114988
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:September-1991
Inscription in Proximity

The First Settlement Memorial Wall

On the 12th September, 1824 the brig "Amity" anchored east of this point and discharged the first white settlers to set foot in Queensland.

This memorial tells the story of that historic occasion.  The shape of the bluestone wall symbolises the sails of the Amity.

The two plaques on the landward side on the memorial depict Amity and the location of the various facilities associated with that settlement.

The two plaques on the seaward side on the memorial list the names of the soldiers, wives and children, and of the convicts who came ashore on that occasion.

The project was funded by community effort


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au