First Free SettlementPrint Page Print this page

29-March-2019 (Russell Byers)
29-March-2019 (Russell Byers)

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / Russell Byers
The monument commemorates the first free settlement of Moreton Bay who were missionaries brought by Doctor Dunmore Lang from Germany in 1838 to Christianise the local Aborigines. The monument was unveiled on the centenary of the settlement. 

They established Zion`s Hill Mission at a place close to the Toombul shopping centre and the mission closed in the mid-1840s when funding stopped and the settlers reverted to farming.

The celebration next March of the hundredth anniversary of the arrival of Moravian missionaries at Nundah will mark the centenary, not only of the foundation of Nundah, but of the establishment of free settlement in Queensland. A movement was set afoot last year to give the centenary a siqnificance worthy of the occasion. It is under the auspices of the Department of Public Instruction, and embraces the State Government, the Brisbane City Council, University, the two Lutheran Synods, the Goethe Bund, the Deutscher Turn Verein, the Bibliographical and the Historical Societies, the Oxley Library Committee, and the Institute of International Affairs, as well as individuals interested in fittingly commemorating the event. It is hoped to mark the centenary by the erection of a cairn or other memorial at Nundah, the publication of a memorial volume covering the history of the establishment of the mission, and by an exhibition of literature of Australia, and particularly of Queensland, in the German language. 

The Moravian mission settlement at Nundah, owed its inception to a promise obtained by Dr. Dunmore Lang, from Lord Glenelg, then Secretary of State for the Colonies, that a mission to the aborigines in the Moreton Bay settlement would be endowed at the rate of £ for £ on public subscription. Dr. Lang visited Germany, and arranged for the selection of a party of ordained and lay missionaries to go to the new settlement, and found a Moravian mission similar to those in other parts of the world. A party of two pastors — the Rev. K. W. Schmidt (in charge), the Rev. Christopher Eipper — and nine lay missionaries, who were also artisans, sailed from Greenock in the ship Minerva.  Early In 1838 the missionaries arrived in Sydney, and in March of that year reached Moreton Bay in the schooner Isabella. At what is now Nundah, they established a settlement, which for many years was known as German Station.

Early in 1838 the missionaries arrived in Sydney, and in March of that year reached Moreton Bay in the schooner Isabella. At what is now Nundah, they established a settlement, which for many years was known as German Station.
The Courier-Mail (Brisbane,), 25 June 1937.

A meeting of the Queensland First Free Settlers' Centenary Committee, Nundah, was held in the Shire Hall, Nundah, on Monday night. Mr. L. G. Stupart presided. It was decided to fall in with the proposal of the central committee that the first item of the celebrations should be the unveiling of the memorial cairn at Nundah on Saturday, April 23.
The Courier-Mail (Brisbane), 8 December 1937. 


Address:Sandgate Road, Nundah, 4012
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.404444
Long: 153.059722
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 23rd April, 1938
Front Inscription

Queensland`s First Free Settlement 

These missionaries with their families settled at Zion`s Hill, near this spot, in the year 1838.

This monument was erected by the people of Queensland.

The Hon. W. Forgan Smith, LLD., M.L.A.,  Premier.
Alderman the Hon. A . J. Jones, Lord Mayor, Brisbane


Left Side Inscription

Pastor C. Eipper.
Pastor W. Schmidt.

Lay missionaries : 

L. Doege.  F. T. Franz.
A. T. W. Hartenstein.
G. Hauszmann.
P. Niquet.
A. Oldbrecht.
A. Rode.  G. Wagner
J. L. Zillmann.

Plaque : 

In 1844 four laymen arrived to join the mission : 

W. Gericke
C. Gerler
J. Herrmann
A. Richter

Back Inscription
This settlement was inspired by John Dunmore Lang  and Johannes Goszner
Right Side Inscription

H. M. Queen Victoria

H. E. Sir George Gipps Governor of New South Wales

H. M. King George VI

H. E. Colonel the Right Honourable Sir Leslie Orme Wilson G.C.S.I., G.C.M.G., G.C.I.E., D.S.O, Ll.D. Governor of Queensland


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design