www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Settlement of Spalding DistrictPrint Page Print this page

02-August-2021
02-August-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the settlement of the Spalding District from 1869 to 1969.

Prior to 1869, there were five sheep runs in the Spalding area: Bundaleer, Booborowie, Canowie, Hill River and Bungaree. From this date, the Spalding area was made available to farmers and a farming-centred community grew.

On 30 July 1885, the District Council of Spalding was proclaimed; it remained until 1997, when it merged into the Northern Areas Council. In 1925 a post office was built in Spalding.[

 

Location

Address:Main Street, Near Council offices, Spalding, 5454
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.499491
Long: 138.607267
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Actual Event Start Date:
Approx. Event Start Date:1869
Actual Event End Date:
Approx. Event End Date:1969

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 4th October, 1969
Front Inscription

     THIS PLAQUE
   Was Unveiled By
The HON. STEELE HALL, M. P.,
PREMIER OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA
On 4th October, 1969
To Commemorate The Centenary
 Of Settlement In
The Spalding District

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design