www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of LochielPrint Page Print this page

08-January-2021
08-January-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the centenary of Lochiel from 1869 to 1969.

In 1869 the South Australian Governor Sir James Fergusson gave the Scottish name Lochiel to the site of this planned Government Town. It is the name given to the senior line of Chiefs of Clan Cameron – the town being situated in the Hundred of Cameron, named after pioneer Hugh Cameron.

The Government Town of Lochiel was surveyed in 1869, closely following the proclamation of the cadastral Hundred of Cameron. The District Councils Act 1887 declared the township and the rest of the Hundred of Cameron a part of the District Council of Port Wakefield. The following year, lobbying by residents resulted in the Hundred of Cameron being moved from the control of Wakefield council into the jurisdiction of the District Council of Snowtown, cementing a close relationship between Lochiel and Snowtown rather than the more distant Port Wakefield. 

 

 

Location

Address:Princes Highway & Robert Street, Lochiel Hall, Lochiel, 5510
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.927302
Long: 138.161342
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1869
Approx. Event End Date:1969

Dedication

Front Inscription

      LOCHIEL CENTENARY

            1869 - 1969

UNVEILED BY  J. H. PATTERSON

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design