Pioneers of ArdrossanPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the pioneers of Ardrossan. 

The first European settlers were pastoralists who established sheep runs. The Hundred of Cunningham was proclaimed 19 June 1873, comprising 134 square miles, and surveying commenced. The Hundred had two government surveyed towns, namely Ardrossan, proclaimed 13 November 1873, and Price, proclaimed 3 August 1882.

Being at a site formerly known as Clay Gully, after a deep gully leading to its red clay coastal cliffs, the surveyed town of Ardrossan was named by Governor Fergusson after the Ardrossan seaport in Scotland which shared similar geography – 'ard' a height, and 'ros' prominent rock or headland.

The site was largely chosen because of its potential for shipping infrastructure, allowing wheat farmers to ship their produce across the Gulf St Vincent to Port Adelaide.  


Address:First & Fourth Streets, Ardrossan, 5571
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.422966
Long: 137.916925
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1873
Approx. Event End Date:1973


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1973
Front Inscription

Ardrossan Centenary

1873 - 1973.

To commemorate those stout hearted men and women who pioneered this town Ardrossan and of their sons and daughters  who fulfilled their vision.

'Remove not the ancient landmark which thy fathers have set."


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design