www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Hamley BridgePrint Page Print this page

25-December-2020
25-December-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The entrance and plaque were erected by the Apex Club to commemorate the centenary of Hamley Bridge and the railway from 1868 to 1968.

Hamley Bridge is a community in South Australia located at the junction of the Gilbert and Light rivers, as well as the site of a former railway junction.

Named by the government of the day, in honour of the Acting Governor of South Australia Lieutenant-Colonel Francis Gilbert Hamley, whose wife, Lady Edith Hamley laid the foundation stone of the River Light Railway Bridge on 25 July 1868. This bridge carries the Peterborough railway line over the Light River.

Other settlements in the area had commenced in the early 1860s, and it was not until 1868 that the junction of the two rivers came under notice as a possible site for a township.

Location

Address:Stockport Road, Hamley Bridge Oval, Hamley Bridge, 5558
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.353928
Long: 138.681427
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1868
Approx. Event End Date:1968

Dedication

Front Inscription

This Entrance Was
Erected By The APEX Club
Of Hamley Bridge To
Commemorate The Centenary
Of The Town And Railway
 October 1968

The Stone Was Taken
From The Bridge Abutments Built 1868

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design