www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Founding of PenworthamPrint Page Print this page

30-July-2020
30-July-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The monument, located near the Horrocks Cairn, commemorates the founding of Penwortham by John Ainsworth Horrocks in 1839 and the 175th anniversary of this event in 2014. 

The village of Penwortham was founded by settler, pioneer and explorer, John Horrocks (1818 – 1846). Horrocks arrived in the colony of South Australia on his 21st birthday, 22 March 1839, less than three years after its proclamation by Governor John Hindmarsh. After meeting Edward John Eyre, who told him of potentially good farmland to the north of Adelaide,  John Horrocks and a servant, John Green, set off to find the area Eyre had described to him. Horrocks settled in a region that he believed to be along the Hutt River and named his establishment Hope Farm. Later in 1839, the first stone cottage of the settlement was commenced and, in 1840, Horrocks and his servants built stone stables for horses, which were then very rare and valuable in the new colony. For a short time, this was the only inland European settlement north of Adelaide and Gawler.

 

Location

Address:Main North Raod, Penwortham , 5453
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.921452
Long: 138.639392
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Actual Event Start Date:05-November-1839
Actual Event End Date:05-November-2014

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 8th November, 2014
Front Inscription
This plaque commemorates 
the founding of the 
village of Penwortham by 
John Ainsworth Horrocks 
on 5th November 1839 
and the 175th celebration 
of this event
on 8th November 2014

A Penwortham flag was designed 
for this occasion and is flown 
on the nearby flagpole 
to mark significant days or events



 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design