www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Clarence Town Sesquicentenary MemorialPrint Page Print this page

03-November-2015
03-November-2015

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The memorial gates at the church were erected to commemorate the sesquicentenary of Clarence Town and all past residents of the town and district. It was decided to erect the gates at the sesquicentenary celebrations in 1951. The gates were finally erected in 1953 and officially opened and dedicated on the 2nd October 1954. 

Old residents of Clarence Town from Sydney, Newcastle and Maitland are expected to return there on Saturday, They will attend the opening of memorial gates at the Church of England, in memory of old pioneers of Clarence Town.   A new brick fence and memorial windows in the church will be dedicated during the afternoon. Archdeacon Nicholls, of the Newcastle Diocese, will dedicate the gates, and Mr. R. L. Fitzgerald, MLA, will attend the ceremony. It was decided to erect the gates at the sesqui-centenary celebrations in 1951. Visitors are expected from many towns, and a bus will leave Maitland in time for the ceremony.
Dungog Chronicle : Durham and Gloucester Advertiser (NSW),
22 September 1954.

Location

Address:Grey & Queen Streets, St John`s Anglican Church , Clarence Town, 2321
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.587572
Long: 151.780843
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Gates
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1801
Approx. Event End Date:1951

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 2nd October, 1954
Front Inscription

 

 

Left Side Inscription

Clarence Town 
Sesqui Centenary
Memorial
1801 - 1951

Right Side Inscription
In Memory Of
All Past Residents
Of Clarence Town
And District
Erected 1953
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design