150th Anniversary of CondobolinPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The monument commemorates the 150th anniversary of the settlement of Condobolin.




Address:Station & Molong Streets, Mitchell Park, Condobolin, 2877
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.084877
Long: 147.153094
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:30-November-1859
Actual Event End Date:30-November-2009


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 30th November, 2009
Front Inscription

Condobolin Celebrates 150 Years
1859 - 2009

Condobolin proclaimed 30 November 1859  Condobolin gazetted 02 December 1859

Major Thomas Mitchell, Surveyor General, discovered the site of Condobolin 4 April 1836.  The exploration party camped at the junction at Goobang Creek and the Lachlan River, and then continued down the Lachlan, crossing over the site which the town of Condobolin subsequently spread.

Squatters followed, taking up new pastures along the Lachlan River as they were discovered.  The Condobolin Run, on the north bank of the Lachlan River was first taken up by Benjamin Boyd and has passed to Street Brothers when Reserve No 4 of 640 acres, was taken out of Condobolin Run and reserved from sale as a possible village site in 1858.

Surveyor Lewis Gordon`s plan, drawn up in preparation for the sale of town allotments dated September 1859, shows Street`s homestead, stockyards and gardens on the north bank, west of William Street, which formed the western boundary of the planned village.

Condobolin proclaimed 30 November 1859
Condobolin gazetted 02 De
cember 1859

`Notice is hereby given that a site has been fixed upon for a town, to be called `Condoublin`, at the undermentioned place and that copies of the approved plan, have been deposited for public information at the Surveyor Generals`s Office Sydney, and the Police Office Condoubliin, viz., situated at the confluence of the Goobang Creek and the Lachlan River in the district of Wellington.`

The first sale of town allotments 03 January 1860

The Municipality of Condoublin proclaimed 20 May 1890

Confusion over correct spelling `Condobolin` gazetted as correct 13 May 1949

Unveiled 30 November 2009

Lachlan Shire Council and the Condoblin & District Historical Society


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design