Pioneers of CoolgardiePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Father Ted Doncaster

The cross embedded in a cairn of stones commemorates the pioneers who settled in Coolgardie between 1892 and 1894.

The town was founded in 1892, when gold was discovered in the area. Australia had seen several major gold rushes over the previous three decades, mostly centred on the east coast, but these had mostly been exhausted by the 1890s. With the discovery of a new goldfield, an entire new gold rush began, with thousands flocking to the area. By 1898, Coolgardie was the third largest town in the colony, with an estimated population of over 5000. At its peak, 700 mining companies based in Coolgardie were registered with the London Stock Exchange.


Address:Forrest Street, Coolgardie Pioneer Cemetery , Coolgardie, 6429
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.950019
Long: 121.154697
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1892
Approx. Event End Date:1894


Front Inscription

Erected to the memory of the early pioneers, 1892 - 94.

The men who blazed the track.


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design