150 Years of British SettlementPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The entrance gates to Falls Park were erected to commemorate 150 years of British settlement in Tasmania since 1803.

Tasmania was first settled by the British in 1803. Lieutenant John Bowen arrived on a ship named Lady Nelson with 49 soldiers, settlers and convicts. They originally settled at Risdon on the River Derwent.


Address:Logan Road, Falls Park, Evandale, 7212
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.571053
Long: 147.253748
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Gates
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1803
Approx. Event End Date:1953


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1953
Front Inscription

1803 1953

Left Side Inscription

Falls Park

The 1953 entrance gates were erected by the Evandale Municipal Council and the Evandale Agricultural Society to commemorate 150 years since British settlement in Tasmania

The gates were relocated and the original turnstile replaced by the 2003 gate donated by the John Glover Society Inc. to recognise Tasmania`s Bi-centenary

Officially opened on the 7th September 2003 by Mr David Von Steiglitz OAM


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design