125th Anniversary of Port AdelaidePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

The monument, consisting of a bell and plaques, commemorates the 125th anniversary of the foundation of the City of Port Adelaide. It commemorates the services of Captains Collet Barker & Charles Sturt, Colonel William Light and the Pioneers of Port Adelaide.


Address:163 St. Vincent Street, Port Adelaide, 5015
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.844442
Long: 138.503925
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1856
Approx. Event End Date:1981


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 29th September, 1982
Front Inscription

Presented To The City By The Mayor And Mayoress
         H.C.R. Marten Esq., C.B.E., J.P.,
                   And Mrs Marten
To Celebrate The City`s 125th Anniversary Celebrations
                  1856 to 1981

By Commemorating The Services Of
Captain Collett Barker  
Captain Charles Sturt 
Colonel William Light  
The Pioneers Of Port Adelaide
    And Their Horses

Port Adelaide`s history began with Barker`s discovery, Sturt`s recommendation, and Light`s selection - which proved to be three of the most significant acts in the history of South Australia.

May the strength and ruggedness of this stone remind all who view it of the fortitude of the men and women who founded this State and Port Adelaide in particular.

Their hearts and aspirations were as solid as this rock.

"Haud Pluribus Impar"
(Second to none)
29th September 1982

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design