Ludwig Leichhardt TreePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Tim Daniel, Wilderness Expeditions

The plaque was unveiled on Wyoming station in 2004, to mark the site of a Ludwig Leichhardt engraved tree, believed to be the site of Leichhardt's camp. The tree has burnt down but the plaque on Wyoming Station now serves as a permanent reminder of Leichhardt`s passing.

The plaque was to mark the position of a tree reportedly marked by Leichhardt's party during his 1844/45 traverse of Northern Australia.  It is believed that this corresponds to his Camp of 17 May, the camp of 16 May was on Glen Harding Station.

A marked Leichhardt tree is recorded on a 1942 Army Topographic map of the area. That tree has since burned down.  

The plaque was initiated as a result of a trek to retrace Leichhardt's route from Valley of Lagoons to Queen's Birthday Camp. The trek was organised on a commercial basis by Tim Daniel of Wilderness Expeditions. Donkeys were used as pack animals to provide transport support and to represent the pack bullocks used by Leichhardt. The trek was organised on the anniversary dates of the original Leichhardt Journal dates.

The existence of the tree was reported by Brendon Lucey who lived on Wyoming station as a child. The tree had burned down, and Brendon's grandfather told him that the stump was a Leichhardt tree.  The plaque was organised by John Reynolds, the then station owner and provided by the Eacham Historical Society.

The plaque was officially unveiled by Vernon Atkinson, owner of Minnamolka Station, (representing the Herberton Council in the absence of the Mayor, Ann Portess) before a crowd of 30 or more persons by including representatives of the Herberton Shire Council, Eacham Historical Society,  ABC radio and the Cairns Post Newspaper. 


Address:Gunnawarra Road, Wyoming Station, Mount Garnet, 4872
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -17.735705
Long: 145.108681
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 19th May, 2004
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au