Sir Thomas Mitchell Memorial Print Page Print this page

05-October-2021 (John Huth)
05-October-2021 (John Huth)

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / Sandra Brown / John Huth

The clock tower commemorates Major Thomas Mitchell and his party who explored the area and commemorates the centenary of the discovery of the site where Blackall now stands. Mitchell named the river the Barcoo and mapped the district enabling the establishment of the sheep industry.

A time capsule was placed in the clock to commemorate the sesquicentenary of the 1846 expedition and is listed as a separate entry.

On September 19 the people of Blackall and district will commemorate the centenary of Sir Thomas Mitchell's discovery of the site of their town, and the opening up of the rich pastoral lands of Central Queensland to general settlement. The occasion will be suitably celebrated, the unveiling of the memorial clock tower in Blackall being the most important event. There will be a procession of floats depicting the district's history from the time it was discovered, up to the present day, and events of the great explorer's epoch-making expedition will be re-enacted. 

The Royal Geographical Society of Australasia (Queensland) has arranged for specially designated centenary envelopes bearing the Sir Thomas Mitchell stamp to be posted in Blackall on the day of the centenary bearing the centenary postmark. 
Queensland Country Life (Qld) 5 September 1946.


Address:Shamrock Street, Blackall, 4472
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -24.424218
Long: 145.464455
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1846
Approx. Event End Date:1946


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 19th September, 1946
Front Inscription


Plaque :

Of The Discovery Of 19 September 1846
Of The Site Whereon The Township Of
     Blackall Now Stands
By Lt. Col. Sir Thomas Mitchell D.C.L. (Oxon),
Surveyor General, Savant And Explorer
With Graham, Douglas And Yuranigh An Aborigine
Their Work Opened Up The Pastoral Lands Of
Central Queensland For General Settlement.
Unveiled 19 September 1946.


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au