Major Thomas Mitchell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

05-October-2021 (John Huth)
05-October-2021 (John Huth)

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / Sandra Brown / John Huth

The clock tower commemorates Major Thomas Mitchell who explored the area and commemorates the centenary of the discovery of the site where Blackall now stands. Mitchell named the river the Barcoo and mapped the district enabling the establishment of the sheep industry.

On September 19 the people of Blackall and district will commemorate the centenary of Sir Thomas Mitchell's discovery of the site of their town, and the opening up of the rich pastoral lands of Central Queensland to general settlement. The occasion will be suitably celebrated, the unveiling of the memorial clock tower in Blackall being the most important event. There will be a procession of floats depicting the district's history from the time it was discovered, up to the present day, and events of the great explorer's epoch-making expedition will be re-enacted. 

The Royal Geographical Society of Australasia (Queensland) has arranged for specially designated centenary envelopes bearing the Sir Thomas Mitchell stamp to be posted in Blackall on the day of the centenary bearing the centenary postmark. 
Queensland Country Life (Qld) 5 September 1946.


Address:Shamrock Street, Blackall, 4472
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -24.424218
Long: 145.464455
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1846
Approx. Event End Date:1946


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 19th September, 1946
Front Inscription

Sir Thomas Mitchell Memorial

Plaque :

To commemorate the centenary of the discovery of 19 September 1846 of the site whereon the township of Blackall now stands by Lt. Col. Sir Thomas Mitchell D.C.L. (Oxon), Surveyor General, savant and explorer with Graham, Douglas and Yuranigh an Aborigine

Their work opened up the pastoral lands of Central Queensland for general settlement.

Unveiled 19 September 1946.


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design