Centenary of Naming of Mount MuirheadPrint Page Print this page

Century Cairn
Century Cairn

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

The memorial commemorates the centenary of the naming of Mount Muirhead by Charles Bonney in 1839.

The first pioneer to really open up the South East was Charles Bonney who, in 1839, in company with nine Europeans and two Aborigines brought 300 cattle, several horses and two bullock drays overland and in the process discovered and named Lake Hawdon, Mount Muirhead and Mount Benson.

The suggestion of erecting a memorial commemorating the naming of Mount Muirhead, on March 24th, 1839, has been considered by the Millicent Council, but to give the public an opportunity to make suggestions as to the form the memorial should take, the matter has been postponed for a month. It is understood that the Country Womens' Association is also taking the matter up at their next monthly meeting, with a view to making suggestions, and already proposals are taking concrete form, one of which is to form a large rockery on the summit of an island made by the new and old cutting over the range in the region of the Mount itself, and that a slab of suitable local stone with a bronze tablet affixed giving particulars of date of the outstanding feature on the landscape, by Mr. Charles Bonney.
Border Watch (Mount Gambier, SA ), 31 December 1938.


Address:George Street, Millicent, 5280
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.593419
Long: 140.351747
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:24-March-1839
Actual Event End Date:24-March-1939


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1939
Front Inscription

March 24 1839 - March 24 1939.
        The Naming Of 
        Mount Muirhead
   Charles Bonney Esq.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design