Sesquicentenary of John Howe ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / Russell Byers

The cairn commemorates the sesquicentenary of the arrival of John Howe`s exploration party in the vicinity on the 15th March, 1820.

Expeditions led by William Parr in 1817, Benjamin Singleton in 1818 and John Howe in 1819 ventured north from Windsor to the land west of Singleton. The latter party was searching for new grazing land. Guided by an Aboriginal known as Myles they followed what is now known as Doyle`s Creek to its junction with a river which they briefly followed eastwards.

Howe returned in 1820 to explore this river and, again guided by Myles, they continued east along the river to a site just east of present-day Singleton. It being nearly St Patrick`s Day Howe named the area St Patrick`s Plains and it subsequently became known as Patrick`s Plains. Only when they reached Wallis Plains (Maitland) did they realise the river they had been following was the Hunter.


Address:New England Highway & Range Road, Howe Memorial Reserve, Whittingham, 2330
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.604722
Long: 151.200833
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:15-March-1820
Actual Event End Date:15-March-1970


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 17th March, 1970
Front Inscription

Patrick Plains Shire Council

This cairn was erected to commemorate the arrival in this vicinity, on the 15th. March 1820, of an exploring party  from Windsor who subsequently named the area Saint Patrick`s Plains.

Members of the party 

John Howe 

George Loder, Junr.   Samuel Marshall
Benjamin Singleton     Frederick Rhodes
Daniel Phillips             James House
Jeremiah Butler          Robert Bridle
Nicholas Conoly         Andrew Loder
Charles Berry             Thomas Dargan,Junr. 
Philip Thorley
Myles and Mullaboy (Natives)

Unveiled by His Excellency the Governor General, the Right Honourable Sir Paul Hasluck, G.C.M.G., K.St.J. 

17th. March, 1970

In commemoration of the Sesqui Centenary


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au