Sesquicentenary of Charles Sturt ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Gordon McFarland

The plaque erected by the Sturt Re-enactment Party commemorates the sesquicentenary of the 1829 journey of Captain Charles Sturt .

The plaque is situated in front of a Black Box Tree believed to have been marked by Charles Sturt during his exploration of the Murray and Murrumbidgee River.

In 1828–29 Sturt led the first of his major expeditions, tracing the Macquarie, Bogan, and Castlereagh rivers and discovering the Darling River. In his subsequent expedition down the Murrumbidgee, he discovered the Murray River and followed it to its mouth near Adelaide, dealing peaceably with many Aborigines along the way. Exhausted and nearly blinded because of poor diet and overexertion on his trip, he spent 1832–34 recuperating in England, where he wrote Two Expeditions into the Interior of Southern Australia, 1828–31 (1833). The book led to the choice of South Australia as the site for a new British settlement.


Address:Mid Western Highway, 4 kilometres northeast of Hay, Hay, 2711
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.492087
Long: 144.883818
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Approx. Event Start Date:1829
Approx. Event End Date:1830


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th November, 1979
Front Inscription

This plaque was unveiled near the famed "Marked Tree" on 17 - 11 - 79 by the Sturt Re-Enactment Party

To commemorate the sesqui centenary of the journey of Captain Charles Sturt in 1829.

Source: MA,H, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design