Hume & Hovell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

Hume & Hovell Track Sign : 16-08-2012
Hume & Hovell Track Sign : 16-08-2012

Photographs supplied by Tom Bird / Sandra Brown / Ken Wood / Peter Harper

The Hovell Tree commemorates the exploration and naming of the Hume River (now the Murray) by Hume and Hovell`s expedition of 1824. 

In 1824, Governor Brisbane asked Hume to join forces with an English sea captain, William Hovell, to go from Lake George to the Spencer Gulf in South Australia. The Hovell Tree, marked by the explorer on November 17, 1824 was flanked by another tree marked by Hamilton Hume which was destroyed by fire in the 1840's. 

The river gum was marked by William Hovell when discovering the Murray River. Hume and Hovell travelled from the Yass area and after crossing the Murray River where Lake Hume now is, they crossed the Mitta Mitta River and proceeded to Corio Bay, Westernport.


Address:Wodonga Place, Hovell Tree Park, South Albury, 2640
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.084836
Long: 146.908117
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:17-November-1824
Actual Event End Date:17-November-1824


Front Inscription

Plaque  :

Copy of inscription

Nov R 17/24
Cut on this tree by explorer
Hovell 1824

Plaque  :

This tree was inscribed by Captain Hovell on November 17th 1824 when Hume and Hovell discovered and named the Hume River now the Murray

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design