Hovell TreePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Tom Bird / Sandra Brown / Ken Wood / Peter Harper

The Hovell Tree commemorates the exploration and naming of the Hume River (now the Murray) by Hume and Hovell`s expedition of 1824. In 1938, the tree was dying and portion of the wood was replaced with cement. After further evidence of decline, three seedlings from the tree were taken and planted in its present location. 

In 1824, Governor Brisbane asked Hume to join forces with an English sea captain, William Hovell, to go from Lake George to the Spencer Gulf in South Australia. The Hovell Tree, marked by the explorer on November 17, 1824 was flanked by another tree marked by Hamilton Hume which was destroyed by fire in the 1840's. 

The river gum was marked by William Hovell when discovering the Murray River. Hume and Hovell travelled from the Yass area and after crossing the Murray River where Lake Hume now is, they crossed the Mitta Mitta River and proceeded to Corio Bay, Westernport.

This tree was marked by Hovell in 1824 during the progress of the Hume-Hovell expedition to Port Phillip, the inscription being, 'Hovell, Novr. 17/24.'' Hume named what is now the River Murray after his father, but later the river lower down was named the Murray by Captain Sturt after Sir George Murray. Sturt thought that the river was a different watercourse to that named by Hume, but the name Murray gradually displaced that of the- Hume. The inscription on the Hovell tree was becoming indecipherable, and a replica of it was made, and is now attached to the tree, which many years ago was enclosed by an iron railing.
Sydney Mail (NSW), 19 January 1938.

SYDNEY, Wednesday: The famous aged gum at Albury, under which the explorers, Hume and Hovell camped on Novemnber 17, 1824, is dying. When evidence of decay appeared the tree was strengthened by replacing portion of the wood with two tons of cement. Recently however the tree has shown further evidence of decline and experts believe it will die in a few years. Hovell's name will live on in three seedlings from the old tree, which have been planted on Hovell Tree Reserve on the outskirts of the town. Another seedling will be sent to the Sydney City Council Parks Superintendent (Mr. Bruce) for planting here.
Goulburn Evening Penny Post (NSW), 11 May 1938.


Address:Wodonga Place, Hovell Tree Park, South Albury, 2640
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.084836
Long: 146.908117
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:17-November-1824
Actual Event End Date:17-November-1824


Front Inscription

Plaque  :

Copy of inscription

   NOV R 17/24
Cut On This Tree By Explorer
 HOVELL 1824

Plaque  :

This Tree Was Inscribed
On November 17th 1824
When Hume And Hovell
Discovered And Named
The Hume River
Now The Murray

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au