Hume & Hovell Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Peter Harper

The plaque commemorates the journey of the explorers Hume and Hovell who passed through the area in 1824. The tablet was unveiled in 1924, the centenary year of the exploration.

In 1824, Hamilton Hume and William Hovell led an expedition of discovery to find new grazing land for the colony. They and their party trekked south from Appin to Lake George, then on into Victoria, keeping west of the Great Dividing Range and ending up at Corio Bay, on the Victorian coast, where present day Geelong is situated. Hovell mistakenly believed they had arrived at Westernport, and did not realise his mistake until after his return.

Monuments, cairns or plaques commemorating this expedition were erected at Allan`s Flat, Avenel, Back Creek, Barjarg, Bellbridge, Broadford, Bulla, Deer Park, Ebden, Euroa, Everton, Hansonville, Hume Reservoir, Kilmore, Lara, Lima South, Meadow Creek, Molyullah, Mount Buffalo, Moyhu, Murmungee, Myrtleford, Samaria, Samaria West, Seymour, Staghorn Flat, St Albans, Stanley, Strath Creek, Swanpool, Tatong (Dodd`s Crossing), Violet Town, Warrenbayne West, Werribee, Whorouly, Woodfield Yarck and Yea.

The location of the plaques erected at Lima South is unknown.  It is believed that the plaque at Hansonville has come from another location as the date on the plaque does not match the date that the expedition was there.

A memorial tablet to Hume and Hovell was unveiled in the Meadow Creek State school, Mr. S. W. Bowers performing the ceremony. Mr. C. Twitchett and Mr. J. Stewart, headteacher, spoke on the work of the great explorers. The children were afterwards given a picnic and entertained with games and races.
Argus (Melbourne), 5 December 1924.


Address:Moyhu - Meadow Creek Road, Former Meadow Creek State School site, Meadow Creek, 3678
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.579465
Long: 146.444409
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:25-November-1824
Actual Event End Date:25-November-1824


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:November-1924
Front Inscription

Erected by the residents Nov 1924

To commemorate the journey of Hume and Hovell who passed here

Nov 25 - 1824

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au