Captain Charles SturtPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

The monument commemorates Captain Charles Sturt and his exploration of the River Murray in 1830. The memorial was unveiled to commemorate the centenary of the event. 

Captain Charles Sturt and his crew rowed a whale boat down the river in 1830 to see where the westward flowing river went. They explored the large river which was named River Murray by Captain Sturt.  Where Sturt Reserve is now is where the party camped on the 8th of February 1830. The group was disappointed when they reached the mouth of the river as they saw it would be too difficult for ships to navigate because of the sandbars and the unpredictable Southern Ocean.

Rowing against the current, Sturt’s crew wearily returned. His report suggested the Murray Valley ideal for settlement.


Address:Sturt Street, Sturt Reserve, Murray Bridge, 5254
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.119848
Long: 139.283622
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event Start Date:08-February-1830
Actual Event End Date:08-February-1830


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 25th January, 1930
Front Inscription

Erected 1930 by citizens of Murray Bridge

To commemorate the voyage of discovery of River Murray by Captain Charles Sturt who passed here on the 8th February 1830


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au