175th Anniversary of the Discovery of the Hastings RiverPrint Page Print this page

175th Anniversary Plaque : June 2014
175th Anniversary Plaque : June 2014

Photographs supplied by John Huth / Peter F Williams

The plaque commmemorates the 175th anniversary of the discovery of the Hastings River and the naming of Port Macquarie by Lieutenant John Oxley in 1818.

The river was first charted by European explorers in 1818, after its discovery by John Oxley who named the river for the then Governor General of India, Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings. 


Address:Horton Street, Town Green, Port Macquarie, 2444
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.428235
Long: 152.907882
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event Start Date:08-October-1818
Actual Event End Date:11-October-1818


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 9th October, 1993
Front Inscription

Etching                         Etching
Don Grant 1993          John Oxley 1818

This plaque was unveiled on 
October 9, 1993 by 
N.S.W. Surveyor General, Mr. Don Grant

To celebrate the 175th Anniversary of the Discovery of the Hastings by Lieutenant John Oxley, Surveyor General of the Colony of New South Wales.

On October 8, 1818, Lieutenant John Oxley discovered the harbour and on October 11 named it PORT MACQUARIE in honour of His Excellency, Governor Lachlan Macquarie.

Councillor Ray Cooper Mayor
John Magann General Manager
Hastings Council

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design