125th Anniversary of Royal Alexandra Hospital for ChildrenPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The plaque commemorates the 125th anniversary of Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children, and its 10th anniversary of its existence at Westmead.

The hospital was opened in 1880 as the Sydney Hospital for Sick Children after Mrs Jessie Campbell-Browne, wife of the Member for Singleton, gathered together in 1878 a group of women to discuss the merits of establishing a children’s hospital in Sydney. It soon outgrew the small building in which it was housed at Glebe Point. In 1906 it moved to a much grander building, designed by Harry Kent in Camperdown, where it stayed for 89 years, where it was known as the Camperdown Children's Hospital.

In 1995, the hospital was relocated to its current location in Westmead to better serve the growing populations of western Sydney.


Address:Hawkesbury Road & Hainsworth Street, The Children's Hospital, Westmead, 2145
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.802171
Long: 150.992278
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Approx. Event Start Date:1880
Approx. Event End Date:2005


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:January -2005
Front Inscription

The Children's Hospital at Westmead

Commemorating the 125th Anniversary of the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children and its 10th anniversary at Westmead

January 2005

Prof Kim Oates AM   Chief Executive
Mr John Dunlop AM  President 1983 - 2004


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au