www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Goolman Divisional BoardPrint Page Print this page

Goolman Divisional Board Inscription Closeup
Goolman Divisional Board Inscription Closeup

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

A monument commemorates the first services of local government begun by the Goolman Divisional Board in 1880.

The Goolman Division was incorporated on 11 November 1879 under the Divisional Boards Act 1879 with a population of 1542. It was centred on Boonah and its board consisting of six councillors. On 4 January 1884, there was an adjustment of boundaries between No. 2 subdivision of Mutdapilly Division and subdivision No. 2 of the Goolman Division. Initially, the Goolman Division had its office in Flinders (Peak Crossing). However, in 1887, the railway line from Ipswich was extended to Boonah, and the Goolman Division office moved to Boonah. 

Location

Address:Ipswich-Boonah Road, Peak Crossing, 4306
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.783452
Long: 152.730133
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Local

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1959
Front Inscription

            To 
  Commemorate
  The Services Of  
LOCAL GOVERNMENT 
   First Begun Here
         By The 
      GOOLMAN 
 DIVISIONAL BOARD.
      First Meeting 
       Feb 21-1880.
      Erected By The 
BOONAH SHIRE COUNCIL
STATE CENTENARY YEAR 
              1959

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design