www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Founding of Probation StationPrint Page Print this page

15-June-2014
15-June-2014

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland
The memorial commemorates the founding of the Probation Station in the Broadmarsh District in 1842.

In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847, and the Probation Station system began to wind down from that time. The Broadmarsh Probation Station was opened some time in 1842, perhaps in June as the schoolmaster Thomas Hayward’s appointment is dated June 13th. Two out-stations were established. A  party of about 50 men with an Assistant Superintendent at the Dromedary who were employed cutting wood, and a further 40 men housed in huts at the Black Brush working on the road in the vicinity.

Location

Address:1218 Elderslie Road, Broadmarsh/Elderslie Community Hall, Broadmarsh, 7030
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.656362
Long: 147.126121
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Colonial

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 22nd September, 1974
Front Inscription

          To Commemorate
The Founding Of A Probation
Station In The Broadmarsh
District In 1842 Under Maj.
J. Walch
Unveiled By Maj R. F. Walch (RL)
        22 Sep 1974

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design