"Cataraque" Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The monument commemorates those who lost their lives in wreck of the ship "Cataraqui" (also known at "Cataraque")in 1845 which sunk with a loss of 400 people.  This is the largest loss of lives in a shipwreck in Australia.  The Government commissioned Langlands and Co, ironfounders to prepare a metal tablet, with Gothic column on either side, bearing a suitable inscription, and this was erected near the scene of the wreck some time in 1846.  It eventually rusted away, but was replaced by a stone cairn in 1956.

On 20 April 1845 the Cataraqui left Liverpool, England, with 367 passengers and a cargo of slate bound for Melbourne under a British government scheme to encourage immigration to the colony. The vessel was commanded by C. Finlay and carried a crew of 44.

By early August the Cataraqui was approaching Bass Strait and on the night of the 4th August the vessel struck rocks on the south-western coast of King Island. The Cataraqui began to immediately break up under the heavy seas, sweeping passengers and crew overboard. Less than an hour later the vessel tipped over to port and remained there despite attempts to cut away the masts. Despite the close proximity to land the surrounding reefs and high seas prevented most of those on board from reaching shore as the Cataraqui broke up.

By mid afternoon only nine of the 409 passengers and crew had reached safety; these were the chief mate Thomas Gutherie, seven seamen and a lone passenger Solomon Brown. The survivors were assisted by the `Straits Policeman` D. Howie, who was hunting on the island. It was not until six weeks later that they were finally taken onto Melbourne on the cutter Midge. Howie eventually buried over 340 bodies in a number of large graves and was subsequently rewarded by the colonial government for his efforts.


Address:Fitzmaurice Bay, King Island, 7256
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -40.028449
Long: 143.884188
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster
Actual Event Start Date:04-August-1845
Actual Event End Date:04-August-1845


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1956
Front Inscription

In Memory Of The 399 People Who Died
In The Wreck Of The Emigrant Ship
Off This Point On 4th August 1845.
        Erected By
The Municipality Of King Island

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design