"Leander"Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Bryan Hardy

The plaque commemorates the loss of the Leander in 1853.

The Leander was an important link between the Swan River Colony, the Victoria District and the markets of Singapore. This was to be to last voyage north for her, as she was returning to England and not returning to the colony. After leaving Fremantle, the Leander, under the command of Captain Johnson, sailed slowly north until on 11 November 1853 when the weather conditions changed with rising northerly winds.The brigantine hit a reef and was carried over it, resulting in the loss of her rudder and she started leaking badly.

The land could be seen just sixteen kilometres away. Captain Johnson considered dropping anchor but on learning there was over one metre of water in the hold, decided to raise more sail and drive the boat ashore. The crew attempted to find help and after several hopeless attempts, one of the indigenous Wattandee, who had been observing the strangers, led the survivors to Lockier Burges` station at Irwin House, some thirteen days after the disaster. Of the twenty-two Malay crew, eleven died, the remainder were abandoned in Champion Bay with no wages or passage home. The Crown Solicitor’s opinion had ruled that no wages were due as there was no freight delivered. The wreck of the Leander has never been found.


Address:Fishermens Drive, Leander Point , On Beacon Obelisk, Port Denison, 6525
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.277305
Long: 114.915362
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Disaster
Actual Event Start Date:11-November-1853
Actual Event End Date:11-November-1853
Link: https://www.dplh.wa.gov.au/about-i…


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1979
Front Inscription


To commemorate the loss of the Brigantine Leander near this point on 11, November 1853.

Due to a fault in it`s chronometer, Leander under Captain R. Johnston, on route from Fremantle to Singapore via Champion Bay, turned for it`s run into Geraldton too soon and collided with South Leander Reef.

As an aid to navigation, this obelisk was erected in 1869

Presented by John & Beth Fitzhardinge owners of the fishing vessel of the same name  1979

Source: MA,HWA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design