www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Murrumbidgee Inn MemorialPrint Page Print this page

20-December-2021 (Miriam Crane)
20-December-2021 (Miriam Crane)

Photographs supplied by Erich Nussbaumer / Miriam Crane

This cairn was donated by the Lindley Family to commemorate family who perished at the Rose Inn. The Rose Inn site was later found to be north-northwest of this location on the other side of Middleton Drive.

This is in fact the site of the first public house, the “Murrumbidgee Inn”. It was sited close to Stuckey's Ford, the place where in 1828 Henry Stuckey became the first European to cross the Murrumbidgee River. The ford was used a year later by the explorer Captain Charles Sturt at the outset of his second journey of discovery into the interior.

Established in 1838 by Joseph Andrews, the Inn was built to cater to the passing trade on the just-opened overland route from Sydney to Melbourne. It may have been the first building erected in Gundagai and was certainly the first Inn.

For most of its life, the Inn was operated by Joseph Andrews. However, at the time of the 1852 flood, it was licensed to General Hemphill. Hemphill, his wife and four of their children drowned when the flood swept away the Inn and its outbuildings.  Only one child, a son, survived after being rescued possibly by local Aborigines.

Location

Address:Middleton Drive, Edge of Golf Course, Gundagai, 2722
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.072054
Long: 148.105032
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Disaster
Sub-Theme:Flood
Actual Event Start Date:24-June-1852
Actual Event End Date:25-June-1852

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 9th October, 1988
Front Inscription

This cairn was donated by the Lindley Family in memory of family who perished at the Rose Inn. The Rose Inn site was later found to be north-northwest of this location on the other side of Middleton Drive.

This is in fact the site of the first public house, the “Murrumbidgee Inn”, to be established and licensed in Gundagai, erected by Joseph Andrews in 1838.

At the time of the 1852 flood, the “Murrumbidgee Cottage Inn” was licensed to Gerard Hemphill. Hemphill and his wife, Anne, and four of their five children, Jane, Rebecca, James and Ann, all lost their lives in the flood; another son, John, was rescued from a tree near the Inn. The Inn, its stables and outbuildings were all destroyed in the flood.

Original plaque :

This is the site of the first building in Gundagai "The Rose Inn" erected by C. Norman

The hotel survived the Great Flood of 1852, when Thomas Lindley was proprietor, but his wife and four children perished  in that disaster.

Cairn officially unveiled by great grandson J. A. (Jack) Lindley O.A.M. J.P. 

9th October 1988

H. J. Reardon Secretary  Gundagai & District Historical Society
D. G. Smith President

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design