www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Barabba Methodist ChurchPrint Page Print this page

31-August-2020
31-August-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The cairn commemorates that on this site stood the Barraba Methodist Church from 1867 to 1967.

Church services were first held in the home of Edward Bacon, a son of Lady Charlotte Mary Bacon. Edward purchased his land Section 411 Hundred of Grace in 1866. Land was donated by Mr Edward Wall to build a church on part Section 200 of Dalkey, and in 1867 a pug and pine building plastered with mortar was built and used as the first church.

The church was part of the Primitive Methodist Church circuit of Gawler and a minister travelled from Gawler, but was assisted by local preachers to enable the church to function.

In 1876 an stone and mortar church was built in front of the first church and the cornerstones were laid by Misses Wall, Fidge, Crawford and Mrs Lithgow. The church building cost 200 pound and was officially opened on 26th November. Trustees appointed at this time were John Lithgow - secretary, James Dow, Edward Wall Jnr, John Wall, John Searle and William Towell - treasurer.

In the early days services were held morning and evening and the Sunday School which had started in 1876 was held in the afternoon. Following amalgamation in 1900, Barabba became part of the Methodist Church of Australia and was included in the Mallala Circuit.

In 1925 a church hall was built onto the rear of the church and was opened by Mrs W. Sears. The Barabba Methodist Church closed in 1967 due to dwindling attendances. The last minister was Rev. Jim Dawes.

 

Location

Address:Stockyard - Barraba Road & Tank Road, Barabba, 5460
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.344808
Long: 138.583145
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Cairn
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1867
Approx. Event End Date:1967

Dedication

Front Inscription

To The Glory Of God

This Cairn Was Raised To Recall
That On This Site Stood


The Barraba Methodist Church
From 1867 To 1967

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design